Menu

Theme Mode

Basket (0) Sign In Join

Character and Manners

Good character, modesty, controlling anger and excellence in all things.

54 hadith, page 1 of 3

Forty Hadith an-Nawawi

Leaving what does not concern you

Hasan

On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “Part of the perfection of one’s Islam is his leaving that which does not concern him.”

A hasan (good) hadeeth which was related by at-Tirmidhi and others in… Character and Manners Read and learn

On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him), that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: Let him who believes in Allah and the Last Day speak good, or keep silent; and let him who believes in Allah and the Last Day be generous to his neighbour; and let him who believes in Allah and the Last Day be generous to his guest. [Al-Bukhari]

Forty Hadith an-Nawawi

Do not become angry

Sahih

On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him): A man said to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), “Counsel me,” so he (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “Do not become angry.” The man repeated [his request for counsel] several times, and [each time] he (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “Do not become angry.”

Forty Hadith an-Nawawi

Excellence in everything

Sahih

On the authority of Abu Ya’la Shaddad bin Aws (may Allah be pleased with him), that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: Verily Allah has prescribed ihsan (proficiency, perfection) in all things. So if you kill then kill well; and if you slaughter, then slaughter well. Let each one of you sharpen his blade and let him spare suffering to the animal he slaughters.”

Forty Hadith an-Nawawi

Fear Allah wherever you are

Hasan Sahih

On the authority of Abu Dharr Jundub ibn Junadah, and Abu Abdur-Rahman Muadh bin Jabal (may Allah be pleased with him), that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: Have taqwa (fear) of Allah wherever you may be, and follow up a bad deed with a good deed which will wipe it out, and behave well towards the people.

It was related by at-Tirmidhi, who said it was a hasan (good) hadeeth,… Character and Manners Purifying the Heart Read and learn
Forty Hadith an-Nawawi

Modesty and a sense of shame

Sahih

On the authority of Abu Masood Uqbah bin ’Amr al-Ansaree al-Badree (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “Verily, from what was learnt by the people from the speech of the earliest prophecy is: If you feel no shame, then do as you wish.”

Forty Hadith an-Nawawi

Righteousness is good character

Hasan

On the authority of an-Nawas bin Sam’an (may Allah be pleased with him), that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: Righteousness is in good character, and wrongdoing is that which wavers in your soul, and which you dislike people finding out about. [Muslim] And on the authority of Wabisah bin Ma’bad (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: I came to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and he (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “You have come to ask about righteousness.” I said, “Yes.” He (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “Consult your heart. Righteousness is that about which the soul feels at ease and the heart feels tranquil. And wrongdoing is that which wavers in the soul and causes uneasiness in the breast, even though people have repeatedly given their legal opinion [in its favour].”

A good hadeeth transmitted from the musnads of the two imams, Ahmed bi… Character and Manners Purifying the Heart Read and learn
Riyad us-Saliheen · The Book of Good Manners

Hadith 680

Sahih

Ibn 'Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) passed by a man of the Ansar who was admonishing his brother regarding shyness. Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "Leave him alone, for modesty is a part of Iman."

Agreed upon (al-Bukhari and Muslim) (متفق عليه) Character and Manners Read and learn
Riyad us-Saliheen · The Book of Good Manners

Hadith 681

Sahih

'Imran bin Husain (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "Shyness does not bring anything except good.".In a narration of Muslim: Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "All of shyness is good."

Agreed upon (al-Bukhari and Muslim) (متفق عليه) Character and Manners Read and learn
Riyad us-Saliheen · The Book of Good Manners

Hadith 682

Sahih

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "Iman has sixty odd or seventy odd branches. The uppermost of all these is the Testimony of Faith: 'La ilaha illallah' (there is no true god except Allah) while the least of them is the removal of harmful object from the road. And shyness is a branch of Iman."

Agreed upon (al-Bukhari and Muslim) (متفق عليه) Character and Manners Read and learn
Riyad us-Saliheen · The Book of Good Manners

Hadith 683

Sahih

Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) was even shier than a virgin behind her veil. When he saw something which he disliked, we could perceive it on his face..

Agreed upon (al-Bukhari and Muslim) (متفق عليه) Character and Manners Read and learn
Riyad us-Saliheen · The Book of Good Manners

Hadith 684

Sahih

Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "The most evil of the people to Allah on the Day of Resurrection will be the man who consorts with his wife and then publicizes her secret."

Related by Muslim (رواه مسلم) Character and Manners Read and learn
Riyad us-Saliheen · The Book of Good Manners

Hadith 685

Sahih

'Abdullah bin 'Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: My father 'Umar (May Allah be pleased with him) said: When (his daughter) Hafsah (May Allah be pleased with her) became a widow, I met 'Uthman bin 'Affan (May Allah be pleased with him) and offered Hafsah for marriage to him. 'Uthman said: "I shall think over the matter." I waited for a few days and then 'Uthman met me and said: "It occurred to me that I should not marry at present." Then I met Abu Bakr (May Allah be pleased with him) and said to him: "If you are willing, I shall marry my daughter Hafsah to you." Abu Bakr (May Allah be pleased with him) remained silent and did not utter any word to me in reply. I grew more angry with him than with 'Uthman. I had waited for only a few days when Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) asked for her hand in marriage and I married her to him. Thereafter, I met Abu Bakr (May Allah be pleased with him) who said, "Perhaps you were angry with me when you offered Hafsah to me and I said nothing in reply." I said, "Yes, that is so." He said, "Nothing stopped me to respond to your offer except that I knew that Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) had mentioned her and I could not disclose the secret of Messenger of Allah (ﷺ). Had Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) left her, I would have accepted her."

Related by al-Bukhari (رواه البخارى) Character and Manners Read and learn
Riyad us-Saliheen · The Book of Good Manners

Hadith 686

Sahih

'Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: On one occasion all the wives of the Prophet (ﷺ) were with him when his daughter, Fatimah (May Allah be pleased with her) who walked after the style of her father, came there. He (ﷺ) welcomed her saying, "Welcome, O my daughter", and made her sit on his right side, or on his left side and then whispered something to her at which she wept bitterly. When he perceived her grief, he talked secretly to her again and she smiled (with happiness). I said to her: "Messenger of Allah (ﷺ chose you from amongst all his wives to speak secretly to you and yet you cried." When he left, I asked her, "What did Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) say to you?" She said, "I will not divulge the secret of Messenger of Allah (ﷺ)." When Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) passed away, I said to her: "I adjure you by the right I have in respect of you to tell me what Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) had told you." She said: "Now (when Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) has died), I will tell you. When he whispered to me the first time, he told me, 'Jibril (Gabriel) used to listen to my recitation of the Qur'an and then recite it back to me once or twice a year, and this time he has done it twice; and so I perceive that my death is approaching. Then be mindful of your duty to Allah and be patient and steadfast, for I shall be an excellent predecessor for you.' On this I wept as you saw. When he perceived my distress he talked to me secretly the second time and said, 'O Fatimah, are you not pleased that you will be the chief among the believing women or of this Ummah?' This made me smile as you saw."

Agreed upon (al-Bukhari and Muslim) (متفق عليه) Character and Manners Read and learn
Riyad us-Saliheen · The Book of Good Manners

Hadith 687

Thabit (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) said: Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) came to me while I was playing with the boys. He greeted us and sent me on an errand. This delayed my return to my mother. When I came to her, she asked, "What detained you?" I said; "Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) sent me on an errand." She asked, "What was it?" I said, "It is a secret." My mother said; "Do not disclose to anyone the secret of Messenger of Allah (ﷺ)." Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) said to Thabit (May Allah be pleased with him): By Allah, were I to tell it to anyone I would have told you..

رواه مسلم، وروى البخارى بعضه مختصرا Character and Manners Read and learn
Riyad us-Saliheen · The Book of Good Manners

Hadith 688

Sahih

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "Three are the signs of a hypocrite: When he speaks, he lies; when he makes a promise, he breaks it; and when he is trusted, he betrays his trust.".Another narration adds the words: "Even if he observes Saum (fasts), performs Salat (prayer) and claims to be a Muslim."

Agreed upon (al-Bukhari and Muslim) (متفق عليه) Character and Manners Read and learn
Riyad us-Saliheen · The Book of Good Manners

Hadith 689

Sahih

'Abdullah bin 'Amr bin Al-'as (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "Four are the qualities which, when found in a person, make him a sheer hypocrite, and one who possesses one of them, possesses one characteristic of hypocrisy until he abandons it. These are: When he is entrusted with something, he betrays trust; when he speaks, he lies; when he promises, he acts treacherously; and when he argues, he behaves in a very imprudent, insulting manner."

Agreed upon (al-Bukhari and Muslim) (متفق عليه) Character and Manners Read and learn
Riyad us-Saliheen · The Book of Good Manners

Hadith 690

Sahih

Jabir (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (ﷺ) said to me, "When the revenues of Bahrain will arrive, I shall give you such and such and such." He passed away before the revenues were received. When they arrive during the caliphate of Abu Bakr (May Allah be pleased with him), he ordered to be announced: "Anyone whom Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) promised or owed anything, should come to him." I went to him and said: "Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) had said to me such and such." He took a double handful out of the money and gave it to me. I counted it and found that it was five hundred dirham. Then Abu Bakr (May Allah be pleased with him) said to me: "Take twice as much more of that amount."

Agreed upon (al-Bukhari and Muslim) (متفق عليه) Character and Manners Read and learn
Riyad us-Saliheen · The Book of Good Manners

Hadith 691

Sahih

'Abdullah bin 'Amr bin Al-'as (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said to me, "O 'Abdullah! Do not be like so-and-so; he used to get up at night for optional prayer but abandoned it later."

Agreed upon (al-Bukhari and Muslim) (متفق عليه) Character and Manners Read and learn
Riyad us-Saliheen · The Book of Good Manners

Hadith 692

Sahih

'Adi bin Hatim (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "Guard yourselves against the Fire (of Hell) even if it be only with half a date-fruit (given in charity); and if you cannot afford even that, you should at least say a good word."

Agreed upon (al-Bukhari and Muslim) (متفق عليه) Character and Manners Read and learn