Hadith 991
Abu Umamah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) saying, "Read the Qur'an, for it will come as an intercessor for its reciters on the Day of Resurrection."
Prayer, fasting, charity, remembrance and the deeds that draw a servant near to Allah.
233 hadith, page 1 of 12
Abu Umamah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) saying, "Read the Qur'an, for it will come as an intercessor for its reciters on the Day of Resurrection."
An-Nawwas bin Sam'an (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) saying, "The Qur'an and its people who applied it, will be brought on the Day of Resurrection preceded with Surat Al-Baqarah and Surat Al-'Imran arguing on behalf of those who applied them."
'Uthman bin 'Affan (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "The best amongst you is the one who learns the Qur'an and teaches it."
'Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "The one who is proficient in the recitation of the Qur'an will be with the honourable and obedient scribes (angels) and he who recites the Qur'an and finds it difficult to recite, doing his best to recite it in the best way possible, will have two rewards."
Abu Musa Al-Ash'ari (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "The believer who recites the Qur'an is like a citron whose fragrance is sweet and whose taste is delicious. A believer who does not recite the Qur'an is like a date-fruit which has no fragrance but has a sweet taste. The hypocrite who recites the Qur'an is like basil whose fragrance is so sweet, but its taste is bitter. The hypocrite who does not recite the Qur'an is like a colocynth which has no fragrance and its taste is bitter."
'Umar bin Al-Khattab (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Verily, Allah elevates some people with this Qur'an and abases others."
Ibn 'Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Prophet (ﷺ) said: "Envy is justified in regard to two types of persons only: a man whom Allah has given knowledge of the Qur'an, and so he recites it during the night and during the day; and a man whom Allah has given wealth and so he spends from it during the night and during the day."
Al-Bara' bin 'Azib (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: A man was reciting Surat Al-Kahf, and a horse was tied with two ropes beside him. As he was reciting, a cloud overshadowed him, and as it began to come nearer and nearer, the horse began to trample voilently. The man came to the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) in the morning and mentioned the incident to him. He (ﷺ) said, "That was tranquillity which descended as a result of the recitation of the Qur'an."
Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) saying, "Allah does not listen so attentively to anything as He listens to the recitation of the Qur'an by a Prophet who recites well with a melodious and audible voice."
Abu Musa Al-Ash'ari (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said to him, "You have been given a Mizmar (sweet melodious voice) out of the Mazamir of Prophet Dawud (David).". And in a version narrated by Muslim "If you would have seen me, as I was listening to your recitation last night."
Al-Bara' bin 'Azib (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: I heard the Prophet (ﷺ) reciting Surat Wat-Teen Waz-Zaitun (Chapter 95) during the 'Isha' prayer. I have never heard anyone reciting it in a more beautiful voice than his..
Ibn Mas'ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (ﷺ) said to me, "Recite the Qur'an to me." I said: "O Messenger of Allah! Shall I recite it to you when it was revealed to you?" He (ﷺ) said, "I like to hear it from others." Then I began to recite Surat An-Nisa'. When I reached the Ayah: 'How will it be when We shall bring a witness from every people and bring you as a witness against them?' (Having heard it) he said, "Enough! Enough!" When I looked at him, I found his eyes were overflowing with tears..
Abu Sa'id Ar-Rafi' bin Al-Mu'alla (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "Shall I teach you the greatest Surah in the Qur'an before you leave the mosque?" Then he (ﷺ), took me by the hand, and when we were about to step out, I reminded him of his promise to teach me the greatest Surah in the Qur'an. He (ﷺ) said, "It is 'Alhamdu lillahi Rabbil 'Alamin (i.e., Surat Al-Fatihah) which is As-Sab' Al-Mathani (i.e., the seven oft- repeated Ayat) and the Great Qur'an which is given to me."
Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri (May Allah be pleased with him) reported about Surat Al-Ikhlas (Chapter 112): The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "By Him in Whose Hand my soul is, it is equivalent to one-third of the Qur'an."According to another version, he (ﷺ) said to his Companions, "Is anyone of you incapable of reciting one-third of the Qur'an in one night?" They considered it burdensome and said: "O Messenger of Allah, which of us can afford to do that?" He (ﷺ) said, "Surat Al-Ikhlas .
Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: A man heard another reciting Surat Al-Ikhlas repeatedly. The next morning he came to the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) and informed him about it as if he considered it to be of little reward. On that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "By Him in Whose Hand my soul is, this Surah is equal to one-third of the Qur'an."
Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "Surat Ikhlas is equivalent to one-third of the Qur'an."
'Uqbah bin 'Amir (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: "Do you not know that last night certain Ayat were revealed the like of which there is no precedence. They are: 'Say: I seek refuge with (Allah) the Rubb of the daybreak' (Surah 113), and 'Say: I seek refuge with (Allah) the Rubb of mankind' (Surah 114)."
Abu Mas'ud Al-Badri (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard the Prophet (ﷺ) saying, "He who recites the two Ayat at the end of Surat Al-Baqarah at night, they will suffice him."
Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) saying: "Do not turn your houses into graveyards. Satan runs away from the house in which Surat Al-Baqarah is recited."
Ubayy bin Ka'b (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: "Abu Mundhir! Do you know which Ayah in Allah's Book is the greatest?" I replied: "It is 'Allah la ilaha illa Huwal-Haiyul-Qayum (Allah! none has the right to be worshipped but He, the Ever Living...)'." (2:256) Thereupon he (ﷺ) patted me in the chest and said, "Rejoice by this knowledge, O Abu Mundhir!"
About this text. Arabic and English text from the hadith-json project (github.com/AhmedBaset/hadith-json), which collected it from sunnah.com. The project states no licence and the English is a modern translation; it is published here on the site owner's decision. Hadith are numbered in the book's own order.